First Aid at Work + Forestry Course
If you are involved in high-risk forestry activities such as tree surgery or civil engineering then Our First Aid at Work + Forestry course is perfect for you. Recent changes to Forestry Scotland’s First Aid Policy recommends those in the Forestry industry attend the training, which includes additional topics relevant to the risk and nature of their work. The course provides you with the knowledge and skills outlined in the Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981.
On this course, we will cover forestry specific content. This includes catastrophic bleeding (i.e. chainsaw injury), hypothermia, crush injuries and Lyme Disease.
What will I learn?
You’ll learn a lot over the three days. Including what your responsibilities as a first aider are, and what are the duties of your employer. In addition to this, you’ll also look at what first aid equipment you should have. How to keep yourself safe while providing first aid. You’ll learn the protocol for dealing with casualties. Including how to deal with unconscious casualties who are both breathing and not breathing.
You’ll also learn how to deal with a variety of injuries, including bleeding wounds, severe burns and head injuries. In addition, you will learn about medical conditions such as asthma, diabetic emergencies and seizures.
You will also learn how to control catastrophic bleeding using tourniquets, pressure dressings and haemostat agents. You’ll learn about the dangers of hypothermia, and how to protect a casualty from the cold. Likewise you will learn how to deal with insect bites and Lymes disease.
Is the course accredited?
Yes, it is! Our first aid at work + Forestry course is accredited by Qualification Network UK, and is valid for three years. When you successfully complete this qualification, you will gain a QNUK Level 3 Award in First Aid at Work +F (RQF). This qualification is worth three credits. You will need to renew it every three years by attending another emergency first aid at work + F course.
You’ll love our style of teaching. We ensure that the course is practical with hands-on experience. You’ll confidently develop life-saving skills. We use a variety of high-quality resources to ensure that you have a realistic and engaging training experience. We use Laerdal’s QCPR mannikins, which provides real-time information on the effectiveness of your CPR!
You’ll have practical workshops where you will develop your wound packing and tourniquet skills. Finally, you’ll have the opportunity to embed your learning through hands on scenarios run throughout the day.
You will also receive plenty of course handouts including an A5 first aid at work manual.
Assessment of learning is essential for checking your understanding and provides evidence of your knowledge. During the practical assessment, you will need to demonstrate an understanding of practical, safe, prompt and effective first aid practices in emergency situations. The assessment requirements for this course include:
- Practical Assessments; your trainer will carry out ongoing practical assessments throughout the course
- 1 Written Assessments; in the form of multiple choice question paper.
Who will my trainer be?
Our outdoor first aid courses are all delivered by outdoor professionals who work across the outdoor industry. So your trainer will hold an advanced outdoor first aid certificate and education qualifications. In addition to this, our trainers are active in the outdoor industry. Meaning that they have lots of real-life experience dealing with first aid incidents.
What will I need to bring?
You should arrive with clothing suitable for being in the outdoors, after working through scenarios we will often debrief outdoors- please ensure that you have enough warm layers including gloves and hats. You’ll need to bring your lunch, but we will provide tea and coffee.
Is this course right for me?
This course is designed for people who sole work or work in high-risk remote areas. It’s essential if you work on Forestry Scotland property. Likewise its incredibly useful if you are a tree surgeon, fencing contractor, farmer, ranger or forestry worker.
If you work in a low-risk environment our 3 days First Aid at work + Forestry Course is a better option. Examples of high-risk environments include; tree surgeons, civil engineers or hauliers.
Your journey doesn’t stop after successfully completing your outdoor first aid course. We offer a range of other courses which build on your knowledge. You may be interested in our Administration of Medical Gases or Administration of Oxygen courses. On both of these courses, you will learn about medical gasses, including oxygen and Entonox®.
First Aid at Work + Forestry Course Contents
- The role and responsibilities of a first aider.
- Reduce the risk of infection to yourself.
- Assess and manage a first aid incident.
- Provide first aid to an unresponsive casualty who is not breathing correctly.
- How to deal with a casualty who is choking.
- How to provide first aid to a casualty who is wounded or bleeding.
- Know how to provide first aid to a casualty who is in shock.
- Know how to provide first aid to a casualty with anaphylaxis.
- How to conduct a secondary survey.
- Provide first aid to a casualty with suspected injuries to bones, muscles and joints.
- How to provide first aid to a casualty with suspected head and spinal injuries.
- How to provide first aid to a casualty with suspected chest injuries.
- Provide first aid to a casualty with burns and scalds
- Dressing an eye injury.
- Dealing with a casualty suffering from poisoning.
- Recognise and provide first aid to a casualty with suspected major illnesses, including:
- Heart Attacks
- Epileptic Seizure
- Asthma Attack
- Diabetic Emergency
- How to recognise a catastrophic bleed
- Effectively apply a tourniquet
- How to use a haemostatic agent
- How to identify Lymes Disease
- Manage a casualty with a crush injury
- How to prevent and manage a hypothermic casualty
Private First Aid at Work + Forestry Courses
We deliver public first aid courses in Glasgow and throughout Scotland. We can also provide the First Aid at Work + Forestry course at your venue. Please contact us directly for a quote.
Upcoming First Aid at Work + Forestry Courses
[tribe_events_list category=”first-aid-at-work-forestry-course” limit=”15″]