Appeals to The Adventure Academy CIC
Any individual or organisation that is affected by an assessment decision made by The Adventure Academy CIC and their assessors is eligible to take advantage of the appeals process.
1.2 Learner appeals
Appeals may be made regarding areas of concern from learners, including but not limited to:
- Administration and assessment errors
- Perceived discrimination
- Request for reasonable adjustments or special considerations
- Failure to take into account any special circumstances
- Decisions relating to malpractice or misconduct
Learners are strongly recommended to informally pursue any appeal, enquiry, or grievance by making a telephone or email enquiry to The Adventure Academy CIC, before following formal systems, as many appeals can be resolved satisfactorily through these informal means.
There is a time limit for making appeals of 3 weeks from course completion. There is a time limit of a further 3 weeks for The Adventure Academy CIC to review this appeal. An appeal review fee is payable to The Adventure Academy CIC (refundable if the appeal is upheld).
Disagreement with an assessment judgement is not normally grounds for an appeal. The Adventure Academy CIC assessors follow strict criteria when making their assessment decisions in accordance with ITC assessment specifications.
Appeals generally fall into the following broad categories:
- Administration error – perhaps a mistake in recording results.
- Assessment error – perhaps using criteria other than those specified in the qualification.
- Discrimination – the method of assessment was not fair and reasonable under the circumstances, or the assessor was biased or prejudiced.
- Decisions regarding reasonable adjustments and special considerations
1.3 Specific point of contact
Ask for Andy Hart
The Adventure Academy CIC
75 North Canal Bank Street
1.4 Summary of appeals process
The full appeals process is summarised below. It is anticipated that most queries will be resolved informally by The Adventure Academy CIC with a minimum of delay.
- Clarification of the original decision
- Informal dialogue to review the context and criteria of the decision.
- If informal methods are unsuccessful then a formal appeals in writing can be initiated by the affected individual.
- The Adventure Academy CIC to contact and discuss the assessment decision with the course assessor and review all available and relevant evidence.
- Reference may be made to ITC First for guidance, if specialist expertise is required.
- Appellant informed of decision and any subsequent actions by the Centre.
- Where the decision is over turned the affected individual will be informed.
- Where the decision remains unchanged or the affected individual is dissatisfied, the learner may refer directly to ITC First using their Appeals Procedure that is available as a download from the website or by request to the ITC Office.
- All learners have the right to raise a complaint to the external regulators of the qualification they are enrolled upon, regarding their appeal. If candidates are not satisfied with how their appeal has been handled by ITC First then learners may refer to the appropriate external national regulator Ofqual or SQA accreditation.
Ofqual – www.ofqual.gov.uk
SQA Accreditation – www.sqa.org.uk
Note: Regulators will scrutinise The Adventure Academy CIC and ITC First against their published procedures. The regulators cannot overturn assessment decisions or academic judgments.
1.5 Monitoring, reporting and evaluating appeals decisions
Learners’ appeal enquiries will be dealt with according to the timescales contained in The Adventure Academy CIC Customer Charter. Should the result of an appeal call into question the accuracy of other The Adventure Academy CIC results then each questionable result will be investigated by the Centre Manager. Appropriate and proportionate action will then be taken which may include:
- An increased level of scrutiny in the relevant area.
- Reporting to our Awarding Organisation/Body
1.6 Personal interest
All appeals decisions made by The Adventure Academy CIC will follow these published procedures and will be taken by individuals who have no personal interest in the decision(s) being appealed.
1.7 Appeals against The Adventure Academy CIC decisions
These maybe referred to ITC First only after the full Centre appeals prcess has been followed.
ITC First Chief Executive Officer
0345 370 7610